Money Talk. All about my wealth



Thanks for stopping by! So today I want to tell you all about my wealth and how it is possible that a 25-year-old girl owns so much stuff. If you want to know where my money came from, keep on reading :)


'The vulture and the little girl' by Kevin Carter, 1993

Seen this photo before? It is called 'The vulture and the little girl'. What can you see when you look at it? I see a vulture waiting for a little girl to die so he can eat her.

Let me tell you this story in a nutshell.
The photo was taken by a South African photojournalist called Kevin Carter. He flew to South Sudan during the second Sudanese civil war in 1993.  He joined the United Nations and was there to document a starvation caused by the war.  
Anyways. He saw a girl who was struggling to crawl to the food centre. STRUGGLING TO CRAWL TO THE FOOD CENTRE! I don't think I will ever get over those words. Seeing this photography for the first time a few years ago was the most humbling experience of my life. The most heartbreaking, unfair, traumatic and painful thing I ever saw. Kevin Carter waited for a perfect moment to take a photo, he took it, drove the vulture away and left. Did you know that he committed suicide a few months later? Many of you may ask why he did not help her. He was actually told not to touch anybody for fear of spreading disease. 

What have we done to this world? All of us here, in the first world countries? They suffer, so we can be relaxed living our 'happy' lives and keep buying stuff, thinking we buy happiness Don't even try to say that Africa is poor.  Nothing could be further from the truth. Africa has actually a huge quantity of natural sources, including gold, silver, diamonds, salt, petroleum and much more. 

Look at that girl!  Look at her sense of survival.  I can not stop wondering what her name was and how old she was. I am wondering if she knew what happiness was and if she ever laughed. She died on her way to the food centre. Or maybe a second after she got there. What was she supposed to receive in there? A sip of water? A handful of rice? A corncob? 


So, now I 'll tell you about my wealth. That's why we all are here, right?

I have two legs and two hands. I can talk, therefore communicate. I can see and hear. And I can smell. I have a roof over my head. Clean water in the tap. Toilet. I have a fridge full of fresh food. And a freezer filled to the brim, if I  run out of fresh stuff. My son has hundreds of clothes, toys and books. We spend hours reading them together. We have a car. Clean and safe. And a cat who leaves tonnes of fluffy fur behind. I have a soft carpet underneath my feet, so they are never cold.
We are healthy, and we have free medical services available just a call away. I have a bookshelf filled with books. And a big lipstick collection. I believe that they make me look prettier. But do they really? 
My son crawls around the flat and laughs a lot.  The healthy breast milk is just one smile away from him. But sometimes when I watch him crawling, I see this poor girl instead. And I wonder how many kids have died so mine can live a wealthy life in a clean and modern country.
Yes, wealthy life. You may think that I am just a working class girl. how can I talk about wealth? well, I am wealthy. And you are, too. Stop for a second and think what you are grateful for today. And repeat it. Everyday.

Share:

3 comments

  1. Pomoc jest łatwiejsza niż nam się wydaje. Możńa np opłacać szkołę ( w tym jedzenie) jakiemuś dziecku w Afryce, robię to od kilku lat. Dla mnie niewiele dla niej otwarcie innej perspektywy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dokladnie tak! Dzieki za poswiecony czas i pozdrawiam :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

© What Mum Loves | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig