Happy HNB- the challenges


Being a mother is a beautiful, yet stressful experience. Being a mum of a high need baby is ten times more intense than that! Today I am here to tell you all about the struggles and the challenges I face every day as a mum of a hyperactive one-year-old. 

Please bear in mind, that I am not complaining 😃 My HNB is a happy one. One, who loves to laugh and make others laugh. He is just the sweetest kid on the planet. But, girl, try to get him to stay in one position. Impossible! 


THE BASICS 
Something as simple as nappy change can take 20 minutes, or half an hour. This is when the hyperactive side of my son's personality wakes up.
It is the same with changing his outfit. Socks? Shoes? Forget about them!  A hat is also a no-no. 

INTRODUCING SOLIDS
I am incredibly lucky because my son loves to eat. He is very excited about trying new dishes. However, he does not like to sit in his chair. As he is over one year now, he gets 5 meals per day. Guess how many times a day do I wash the carpet?

HOUSEWORK
Kian doesn't like playing on his own. He loves to have people around him all the time. Even though I absolutely treasure the time we spent together, I also need to do housework. I always try to do the most important stuff in the morning (you can read more about our morning routine here) and cook many meals at the same time. Sometimes, though, he just needs to be next to me. And this is when a baby carrier comes in handy! 

GOING FOR WALKS
And here, I have got to repeat what I have already said. The baby carrier is a lifesaver! My son can not stand sitting in a pushchair for longer than 10-15 min.  That's why I always have my Manduca on me. It allows me to go out of the house more and for longer than normal.

BABY'S BRAIN DEVELOPMENT
I am not the only one who realized that high need babies are usually much more alert and intelligent than other kids. I am always worried if I do enough to support his mental growth.


EXHAUSTION
As a mum of a hyperactive babyI have a very little time to recharge my batteries. My son moves faster than other kids, that's why I need to have eyes in the back of my head at all time. This is a constant, day and night look-out. I wouldn't say that I am physically tired because I am used to hard work and lack of sleep. But this kind of responsibility can be mentally draining.


If you're wondering if there are any pros of being a mum of an HNB- yes, absolutely! I will write about it more in my next post (be sure to check it out on Thursday 21/09 at 6 PM UK time 😃). Thanks for sticking by! x





















































__________________________________________
how having a high need baby changed my life
Share:

15 comments

  1. Oh bless you - it sounds draining, let alone experiencing it. Like you say, parenting is a rollercoaster and sometimes you just have to focus on the positives to get you through the harder times :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is HNB? I’ve not come across this before. Parenting is a constant rollercoaster, you have to take the good moments when they come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High Need Baby :) Baby that needs much more attention that other babies. They need much less sleep, usually are hyperactive, very sensitive and feed a lot (my son was on a breast for 20h per day for the first three months; more than food they need skin to skin contact with mum, though). They are intense, but also very intelligent.

      Delete
  3. I remember making use of the baby carrier more for housework than anything else! I also quickly learned useful skills, like cracking an egg one-handed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha I can prep a meal, hoover the whole flat, and do the laundry one-handed :) Baby carriers ae life savers! Thank you for reading and commenting x

      Delete
  4. Gosh sounds like this is really tough, I'm sure you are doing a great job though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! HNB afe intese, but very special :)

      Delete
  5. I remember this stage well, I used to spend a lot of time outside with mine at this age to try and wear them out and the nappy changes - argh - used to drive me insane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting ready to go outisde takes forever. thanks for reading, Kara! x

      Delete
  6. It sounds like you have your hands full but also that your little one is going to be extremely bright. That's not to make light of your struggles but I'm guessing that hyperactivity can be controlled a little in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is very, very intelligent and super curious. I hope that my hard work pays off in the future :)

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a very full on day for you both. I'm sure they are many positives too,look forward to reading that list too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, HNB are intense, but very special. Caring, emotional, intelligent and funny :) You can read more about it here: http://www.whatmumloves.com/2017/09/happy-hnb-beauty-of-high-need-baby.html

      Delete
  8. Baby carriers are definitely life saving, I loved using them when I was babysitting 3 under 7 kids trying to give the parents a minute to themselves. I can’t imagine what an hyperactive baby would have been like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, babysitting 3 under 7 must have been intense! x

      Delete

© What Mum Loves | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig